Get Immediate Bedbug Help: (248) 457-5233

What happens when you are stung by a Wasp?

Know the signs of a serious reaction & what to do after a Wasp Sting

When a wasp or bee stings, a protein venom is injected into your body that causes pain and other reactions. Wasps sting to defend themselves or their colony. Wasps and bumblebees can pull their stingers out of your skin without injuring themselves, so they can sting multiple times. Honey bees, on the other hand, have barbs on their stingers, and that barb remains lodged in your skin. Because the stinger is connected to the bee’s digestive system, the bee quickly dies.

Learn about wasps & other stinging insects from the National Pest Management Association

Most people have local reactions to wasp and bee stings that can range from temporary burning and itching to swelling that can last for several days. Local reactions can be treated with ice, vinegar, honey, meat tenderizer, or commercial ointments.

Some people, however, are extremely allergic and can go into anaphylactic shock―fainting, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the throat—within minutes, requiring immediate medical attention.

If you or a family member are known to have a systemic allergy to wasp or bee stings, your physician can prescribe one of several sting kits which you can carry with you at all times. If someone who is allergic is stung, call 911 immediately.

Protect Your Family from Wasps, Bees and Hornets. Call Presidio.

(248) 457-5233